Saturday, July 20, 2013

Meet the Teacher Night

It is almost that time of the year. That night when our new kids walk through the door making it official. As a teacher, you always want to impress and leave good memories during your first meeting. The students will remember that night and possibly will be more excited to start a new school year.

Last year I started a new journey as a first grade teacher. It was overwhelming but really exciting! I've tried different things since I started teaching but I knew I wanted to do something different. I looked around in the internet when I finally found the perfect way to welcome my new first graders. I decided to not label the desks before they came in and instead I let the kids choose the desk on their own.

As they walked in during Meet the Teacher, I would give them a handshake and send them to find the balloon of their choice. Then they would write their name on a sticky note and leave it there for me to label their desk properly. The smile in their faces was an incredible feeling for me. I had accomplished what I wanted: get them excited for the first day of school!


I'm doing the same thing this year. Even though I still have a month to get ready, I am collecting ideas to make it an even better school year!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment